Book Promo Banner
Sewing a costume with fake fur

Sewing a costume with fake fur

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Sewing a costume with fake fur

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, so I’m in the process of making a fursuit for a cosplay I’m going to do with a friend. I’m going to be Sly Cooper and I’m going the whole extra mile to make a head out of resin, foam and fur. Anyways. When I was looking around I’ve heard a lot of different things about sewing fursuits. Like I’ve heard it’s a bad idea to use a sewing machine like a brother because some of the fur can get up in it and break the plastic gears. Then I’ve heard if you don’t make your stitches lock the suit’ll fall apart if you do it by hand. So I guess I’m asking how can I make one with fake fur with as few problems as possible. I realize after making my shrouded man costume that problems happen just cause it’s a project. I’m new to sewing and have already realized some of it’s going to be done by hand. So is there any particular way I can approach it and know I’m going to create something that will stand up through multiple wears plus a wash? Thanks to that pattern video I was able to create sly’s actual clothes with an exception of his shoes.
    Also are there any places to order high quality fake fur from for low price. I already checked my local JoAnn’s and Hancocks and came up empty.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there, I haven’t sewn with fur too much. I did use it to make the sloth hand puppet project on this site and, while it was really messy to work with, I didn’t have any problems sewing it on the machine. I guess it also depends on the length of the pile because one thing that is time consuming is going over the right side of the seam and pulling fur out of the seam, leaving just the fabric sewn together. I just did this with a straight pin. Once you do this, your seams pretty much disappears and it looks much nicer. And giving your machine a good cleaning is a great idea after your done. I’m sure all the stray hairs getting into your machine can add to the wear and tear. Have you checked fabric.com for fur? Good luck! 😀

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.