Book Promo Banner
How Can I Add Side Seam Zipped Pockets to the Pants

How Can I Add Side Seam Zipped Pockets to the Pants

Home Page Forums Ask A Question How Can I Add Side Seam Zipped Pockets to the Pants

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, I would like to add a side seam zipped pocket to each side of my exercise pants. Should I add the zipper to the front and back pocket pieces first  then sew them to the pants, or should I sew the pocket to the  pant and later add the zipper to the pocket? Which way is easier? I am looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

In skirts, I put the pocket into the side seam and then an invisible zipper.  I use double-sided fabric tape so I can easily make adjustments.  Otherwise, make sure you baste your zipper before sewing so you get the seams lined up and everything lays flat.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Are you doing this to premade pants or making your own exercise pants?  If it’s the latter, than it’s definitely easier to add pockets and a zipper.  With the ready to wear pants, you’ll probably spend the day just taking out the side seam allowances and that’s not going to be very much fun.  Either way, what I would do is sew the pocket front to pants front and pocket back to pants back at the side seam as one would do normally (see pants side pocket tutorial).  Then I would go about attaching the zipper to the pocket area. I agree with rdejam that an invisible zipper would definitely look best.  If you’ve never put in one before you can consult our invisible zipper tutorial.  Once the zipper is in, sew the remaining side seams and around outer pocket edges, then flip right side out.  Good luck!  🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.

One thought on “How Can I Add Side Seam Zipped Pockets to the Pants

1. Pingback: 2warring

Comments are closed.