Book Promo Banner
Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 12 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

This is my first time making a dress and I am totally lost when it comes to #32, 33, and 34.  I don’t understand the directions by the wording or the pictures.  I’ve ironed the facing to the wrong side of the fabric, and that’s as far as I’ve gotten.  Please help!!! : )

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Okay…  The facing you’re working with is the flap of fabric that goes on the inside of the dress at the neckline.  You probably have some dresses or blouses that have the same thing.  Most facings create a clean edge at an opening.  Ultimately, you will sew the neckline facing to the dress neckline and fold it in side the dress so the seam between the facing and the dress neckline is a nice, smooth edge. Interfacing (loosely translated to inside the facing) gives the facing structure so when it’s folded in, it stays in place while the outside of the dress neckline can be fluid. You did the interfacing correctly.  You should have the interfacing ironed onto the wrong side of the facing.  Not sure what the deal is with the picture. I hope I can explain this clearly.  Please ask questions if I’m not making sense. When you hold the facing up to the dress, the top of the facing will line up with the neckline correctly.  The bottom of the facing will be the longer curve and the top part is the smaller curve that fits around your neck.  Look at the pattern piece for the small dot and mark the inside of the facing where you ironed on the interfacing where the small dot should be.  Put the right sides of the front facing together (sounds like there are 2 front facing pieces) and stitch the center seam up to the small dot.  Leave the rest (from the small dot to the top of the facing) open. You will stitch the shoulder seams of the front facing to the back facing.  Just like with the center facing seam, make sure the right sides of the facings are together for stitching. The unnotched edge is probably the longer curve which is the bottom of the facing.  Edge stitching keeps the fabric from fraying and keeps the inside of your neckline with a clean edge.  You will stitch 1/4″ from the bottom edge.  Then, fold (an iron is helpful) along the stitching line so WRONG sides are together and stitch as close to the finished edge where you folded along the stitching line is.  Sounds like hell, I know! I know you’re in the middle of doing this but a couple of easier ways to do this.  The simplest is to use a serger and just serge that unfinished edge.  I don’t have a serger so I use bias tape.  It’s easier than folding and stitching and looks nicer.   You can buy bias tape or make it yourself. Let us know how you’re doing and don’t be shy.  Ask away.  We’re all learning something all the time. Sorry if this is too much at one time.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s a little confusing to jump right in with just the text but let’s see what we can do.  First, facing is usually a skinny strip of fabric that is used for the purpose of finishing raw edges such as on the neckline or armhole.  Usually if you’re sewing in a collar or sleeves, you will not need facing in this area, although I’m sure there are some exceptions.  You commonly see them for collarless and/or sleeveless garments.  Because you mentioned that you are planning on putting sleeves, I’m wondering if you’re doing a step for a different view of the garment.  I know from other simplicity project runway patterns, they put more than one version of the garment in the envelope and not all the directions apply to the one you are working with.  So if there is dress A, B, and C and you’re only doing B,  then you ignore steps dealing solely with A and C.  How do you know if the step applies to your view?  It should be listed at the top of the direction section for what view it is.  You can see me go over this in Pattern Directions Overview.  So if you’re putting in sleeves, then you should not have to worry about facing.  If you want to see me do an example of doing a facing and edge finish check out the betty dress tutorial starting at timecode:  01:09:10.  I start out doing the interfacing and I attach it to my dress.  Hopefully, it’ll make doing facings a bit more clear, if you watch me do one first.  Let me know if there are any other questions.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I haven’t made this dress but will try to help.  I totally sympathize with your frustration with the pattern directions (or should I say lack of directions?). I’m guessing you mean you’ve ironed the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric for the facing.  What’s the facing for and briefly, what are steps 32, 33, and 34?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there, I don’t have that pattern but you can email me pictures of the text and picture diagram.  I will do my best to help you out.  You can email them to professorpincushion@professorpincushion.com.  We’ll figure this out and get you on your way! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yes, I’ve ironed the interfacing to the inside of the fabric.  I suppose a lot of my problem is I don’t know all of the sewing terms.  Like “facing”, I’m not exactly sure what that means.  I’m working on the collar/bodice section.  The directions say to apply the interfacing to WRONG side of front and back facing sections which I did.  The picture shows the interfacing on the RIGHT side of the fabric though.  It then says to stitch center front seam of front facing from lower edge(of what?) to small dot.  Stitch shoulder seams of facing sections(why do I need to stitch the shoulder seams when I’m going to be stitching the sleeves to it?).  Then it says: to EDGE FINISH unnotched edge…stitch 1/4″ from edge, turn under along stitching tapering into armhole edge and stitch.  (No idea what this means)…  There are several more steps like this that I don’t understand, I guess it’s hard to describe in writing….

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

From the questions, ( and I should have asked) I think you’re making the view C bodice which has a slight V opening in the front  (that’s why you only stitch the center facing seam to the small dot) and short sleeves.  Is that correct?  The shoulder seams that need to be sewn are for the facing regardless of sleeve length.   The facing runs along the entire neckline so when sewing the facing to the garment, you will match up the shoulder seams of the dress with the shoulder seams of the facing making everything match up nicely.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

So I figured out my issue…I didn’t get all of the pieces cut out.  Stupid, right??!  I’ll blame it on the fact that this is my first time ever making a dress!  Thanks for all of your help!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

YAY!  I’m glad to hear that the mystery is solved!  😀  I guess it pays just to talk it out.  And don’t feel stupid.  You are smart because you figured out your problem.  I still make mistakes so it’s just something we have to accept…unfortunately.  Please post a pic when you finish your dress.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Welcome to the club!  Those Project Runway patterns in particular have a bazillion pieces and it’s so easy to miss a few.  The good thing about them is that you can easily make a dress your own.  Glad you figured is out.  Can’t wait to see the finished dress!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

UGH. I am having so many issues with this pattern. I am soooo confused. I probably shouldn’t have tried this as my first big pattern sewing job. Most of my sewing so far has been from scratch and blankets and silly things like capes/robes. So this is something completely different. I need so much help.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dazyabbey/library/Dress%20Project

Those are the pictures I have of where I am stuck at. I am trying to find out where/how the two pieces attach to the bodice part of the dress. My friend and I were trying to figure it out last night and we thought they were part of the straps. Well I am 99% sure that is wrong. But almost all the pieces we have left are the skirt and pockets. Please help! Thank you so much. And if you need any further information let me know.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I can see your pictures but which number step are you stuck at?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

The main problems I am having are with the two “facing” pieces. There is a longer one and a shorter one. The directions don’t really explain how you are supposed to put them on and where you put them on. Also it seems like I don’t have a part for the strap of the dress from the front to the back of the bodice. I know I am missing some huge part.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dazyabbey/media/Dress%20Project/DSC02293_zps5ac09bc2.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3#/user/dazyabbey/media/Dress%20Project/DSC02293_zps5ac09bc2.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3&_suid=13709641188760444320917434261
    This is how we ‘sewed’ the strap on. Which was the ‘front facing’. Which at this point I am 98% sure is not correct and I will have to take it off.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dazyabbey/media/Dress%20Project/DSC02293_zps5ac09bc2.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3#/user/dazyabbey/media/Dress%20Project/DSC02290_zpsde75d4c8.jpg.html?sort=2&o=5&_suid=13709641188760444320917434261
    This is what I have so far done. But minus the strap that I will probably have to take off like I said. So I need to figure out where those ‘front facing straps’ go, and the other facing part. (this picture http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dazyabbey/media/Dress%20Project/DSC02293_zps5ac09bc2.jpg.html?sort=2&o=3#/user/dazyabbey/media/Dress%20Project/DSC02294_zpsa13ab38c.jpg.html?sort=2&o=4&_suid=13709641188760444320917434261 )

Sorry I know this is really confusing. I have decided to watch as many videos of yours as I can and also to try and find some local sewing classes. This dress seemed easy but then it just got super complicated pretty fast.

Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.