Book Promo Banner
Shoulder

Shoulder

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Shoulder

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Good Morning,

the best web site in years. Thanks for taken me as a member.

I am very new sewing. I could not even put a button on a jacket before.

However, one of my problems is, whenever I buy the very very simple Pattern of a kind of a T-shirt/top with short sleeves, I never get the shoulder part together correctly. It looks ok from out side, but when I turn the inside out, it looks horrible, it never fits together and the description are not very good, regardless who made the pattern.

I would love to see a video or photos how to do it. I went the Internet up and down and no  one is doing it. It seems to me it must be so simple that there is no need for a video. What am I doing wrong ?  Everything is correctly cut , but where the end pieces come together on top of the shoulder, it becomes a mess. I guess I am missing something.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Don’t be discouraged.  You’re a new sewer and it just takes practice, so don’t be too hard on yourself.  I think the hardest part  in putting in a sleeve is the easing.  The sleeve cap always seems to have more fabric than the armhole so you put in basting stitches in the sleeve cap so you can slightly gather the sleeve to fit it in the armhole.  You can see an example of me pinning the sleeve in our steampunk coat tutorial starting at the time code 1:22:45.  You don’t actually see me stitching it in but I like to stitch it so that I’m stitching on the inside of the sleeve area.  This means that I’m looking at the sleeve side as I’m sewing and the bodice part is on the underneath side.  This way I can see my sleeve easing as I’m going around and making sure none of the gathering becomes a wrinkle.  But just go slow and if you’re not feeling confident, do a basting stitch instead.  Check out your stitches and if it’s looking good, you can just stitch again over your basting stitch.  Also, it’s always a good idea to do two sets of stitches about 1/8″ apart since there’s a lot of wear and tear in the sleeve area.  If you’re worried about all the seam allowance bulking up from the inside, you can trim the seam allowance, just be careful not to get your stitches.  You can do it! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.