Book Promo Banner
ruler choices

ruler choices

Home Page Forums Ask A Question ruler choices

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 9 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello. I am very new with sewing, so I have a question about an equipment: a ruler. If I am using a rotary cutter, what kind of ruler do you recommend? I have a bunch of stainless steel rulers already – is it bad for the blade of a rotary cutter?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m not saying you can’t use another type of ruler but there are benefits to use the plastic rotary cutter rulers. They tend to be thicker so there’s a less a chance you’ll accidentally go over the lip of the ruler and instead stay on track. If you do manage to go over the edge of the ruler, which I have done from time to time, the stainless steel could nick the rotary blade, which would be bad. Hope this answers your question. You can find these rotary rulers in the same section that they sell the mats and cutters.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

You make a lot of sense. Thank you so much! I’ve noticed that those plastic rulers come in different widths. Which width do you recommend?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Mine looks like it’s about an 1/8″ thick and it’s been pretty good for me. Only went over the edge a few times 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.