Book Promo Banner
Maximum Number of Inches You Can Increase a Waist or Hip Before You Have Problems

Maximum Number of Inches You Can Increase a Waist or Hip Before You Have Problems

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Maximum Number of Inches You Can Increase a Waist or Hip Before You Have Problems

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am working from a vintage pattern. (Back when standard measurements were quite a bit smaller) In enlarging the waist and hips, are there a number of inches beyond what might start to be problematic. The pattern is a skort, with front and back skirt panels and shorts underneath. I would be needing to increase the waist by a total of 6 inches and increase the hip by a total of 4 inches. Before I start altering, could you tell me if there would there be some problems in making these large of increases. Just wondering, because on your “Increase” waist/hip tutorials the increase shown is only 1/2 inch.

I am at the upper end of the 3 size range, for my pattern envelope. I could try to look for the same commercial pattern with the next 3 larger sizes, but I may not be able to find it. Also trying to save $$ and learn some new alteration skills. I also plan to add 5 inches in length to the skort. I know this will all take some time, but if I can get it right, I plan to make several.

I guess another way to ask this question is: Is there a maximum number of inches you can increase a waist or hip, in a commercial skirt or pant pattern, before it starts becoming problematic or weird.

Also, any good ways to estimate how much more fabric to buy, when making larger increases?

Thanks, your tutorials are very clear and seem that they will be easy to follow. I love how you spell it all out, right down to the math calculations. It pays to be very clear. I think I may try to insert a side pocket with your tutorial too. A skirt without a pocket is a waste. Thanks.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there! It’s very exciting to hear you’re trying to recreate a vintage pattern! 🙂 From what I understand you can increase waist and hips however much you want. (It’s the bustline where you start running into problems and start to worry about armholes.) That being said, if you’re considering taking a pattern and making it larger overall, you may want to consider pattern grading. We don’t have a tutorial on this yet, but I did find an article and maybe it will be helpful. http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4424/quick-reference-for-cut-and-spread-pattern-grading Regardless, I would make a copy of your pattern so you can preserve the original. You can make a copy using a tracing wheel. Check out our tutorial on this. When you’re ready to start sewing, make a muslin. This means to use a cheap fabric like muslin to test the fit. You just have to baste your pieces together, enough so you can try it on and decide if you need to make anymore changes. Also, make note of how much fabric you use and this will help you out when you’re ready to do the real thing. I’d love to see a picture when you finish!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.