Book Promo Banner
How to draw a pattern

How to draw a pattern

Home Page Forums Ask A Question How to draw a pattern

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello, I m Silvia and I m new in the sewing world, but I found this website very useful, the videos are amazing!!!!
    I’ve got a , maybe stupid, question:
    How can a redraw a pattern, if I don’t have a printer at home and I cannot print it? Plus even if I print it in A 4 it won’t be the right scale right?
    Any ideas? Or maybe there s a video also for it that I couldn’t find…
    Thank you!!!!!

Silvia

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

If you are looking to make a clone of an existing pattern, you can watch out tracing wheel video and it shows how to duplicate a paper pattern,
    https://www.professorpincushion.com/professorpincushion/tracing-wheel/

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    That’s not exactly what’s mean…what I want is to know how I can draw on the paper (even before than the fabric) a PDF pattern that I ll download from this website, without a printer…is it possible?how can I get the right proportion?
    Thank you!,,

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

ok. You basically want to take one of our pdf patterns and copy it by hand without printing it. That seems like a lot of work. Easiest solution is to go to a thrift store and see if there is a $20 printer you can get. Go to the library, use their printer? Go to a kinkos and print it for a few cents a page.

If money is tight I can respect that. Technically, if you are viewing the pdf in acrobat, you would just need to view the zoom level at 100 percent. You could then put a piece of paper over the monitor and trace it. Im assuming you have a flat lcd monitor and a crt tube monitor which has curvature. I really don’t recommend tracing on your monitor because you could damage it, which will cost you more money than a cheap printer in the long run.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks again for the kind reply, it’s Ok, I m sure I can print it at work, shall I print in normal A4 size?
    I was just wondering if there were dimension so I could avoid using a printer.
    Thanks again for the quick reply, you’re fantastic!!!!
    Silvia

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

technically A4 is 8.3″ X 11.7″. Letter size is best 8.5×11 (all printers can do this). I made all the patterns to have a .5″ margin from the edge. Just print without scaling the pattern in the print options of the printer and you should be just fine. All of the pieces to a pattern fit on 8.5×11 paper.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Perfect ! Thank you very much for your help!!, I still need to do a lot of practice but I d like to try something a bit more challenging soon 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.