Book Promo Banner
Adding Elastic to a Sweetheart Neckline

Adding Elastic to a Sweetheart Neckline

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Adding Elastic to a Sweetheart Neckline

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wilderewe
    Participant

I’ve worked in bridal a couple years and have delt with small busted brides wanting their dresses to sit closer to their busts without flattening them out. I’m currently working on a gown and can remember seeing a similar dress altered by an unknown seamstress and she somehow added elastic into the lining of the gowns sweetheart edge, allowing the dress to almost hug the brides bust perfectly. I was wondering if you had any idea of how attaching or inserting the elastic would create this effect. I’m not sure if I should sew elastic only to the lining or inbetween the seam of the lining and outer fabric or create a fabric tunnel? I’m honestly perplexed and would love a little insight!

Attachments:
    professorpincushion
    Participant

that’s a really smart idea! As someone who’s very small busted myself, I totally get this. I’m a little unsure, myself, on the correct way to accomplish this while still maintaining the shape of the sweetheart neckline, meaning I would most likely try only adding the elastic to the back of the dress or the side of the bustline, rather than the front of the dress. It just seems easier but I don’t know if it would have the same effect. In order to create an elastic tunnel, you could use ribbon that’s sewn to the lining, near the edge of the top of the dress. Then insert your elastic and stitch one end of the ribbon closed with the elastic also in the ribbon seam. Then stretch the elastic as need to the other end of the ribbon and again stitch it to the end of the ribbon. I hope this helps a little bit, but if you figure out the perfect recipe, please let me know. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.