Book Promo Banner
Reply To: Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Reply To: Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line Reply To: Simplicity Pattern 1803 From Project Runway Line

the_professors_assistant
Keymaster

Yeah, it’s a little confusing to jump right in with just the text but let’s see what we can do.  First, facing is usually a skinny strip of fabric that is used for the purpose of finishing raw edges such as on the neckline or armhole.  Usually if you’re sewing in a collar or sleeves, you will not need facing in this area, although I’m sure there are some exceptions.  You commonly see them for collarless and/or sleeveless garments.  Because you mentioned that you are planning on putting sleeves, I’m wondering if you’re doing a step for a different view of the garment.  I know from other simplicity project runway patterns, they put more than one version of the garment in the envelope and not all the directions apply to the one you are working with.  So if there is dress A, B, and C and you’re only doing B,  then you ignore steps dealing solely with A and C.  How do you know if the step applies to your view?  It should be listed at the top of the direction section for what view it is.  You can see me go over this in Pattern Directions Overview.  So if you’re putting in sleeves, then you should not have to worry about facing.  If you want to see me do an example of doing a facing and edge finish check out the betty dress tutorial starting at timecode:  01:09:10.  I start out doing the interfacing and I attach it to my dress.  Hopefully, it’ll make doing facings a bit more clear, if you watch me do one first.  Let me know if there are any other questions.