Book Promo Banner
Zigzagging over thick seams

Zigzagging over thick seams

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Zigzagging over thick seams

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi. I am slowly progressing with my tank top / dress. I used zig zag for the seams and now I am attaching the bands and doing the hem. I am using zigzag for this too but when I try to go over a seam area, the material is very thick and the machine struggles to cope. I did as the video suggested and trimmed the seams but it hasn’t helped. Please may I have your advice. Thanks.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Have you cleaned out your feed dogs? My first (rather basic) Singer machine couldn’t cope with thick seams, so I saved up and waited and got a Janome QC (Quilter companion) machine on the basis that if it is meant to do quilts it can cope with thick clothing seams 😀 But…. if I use a fleecy material or one with lots of lint / fluff my feed dogs clog up quickly, so I have to brush them out mid project.That helps.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks. I will try this first.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

If this doesn’t help, you might want to invest in an attachment called a jean-a-ma-jig, which can be picked up at the fabric store. It helps with getting over thick seams. You can see me demonstrate something similar in our Working with Denim tutorial. Hope this helps! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks. I have just ordered my jean-a-ma-jig and am about to watch the video.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.