Book Promo Banner
Width of Horsehair braid

Width of Horsehair braid

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Width of Horsehair braid

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Which one should be used 1″ or 2″ on hem of long heavy satin gown…?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

It really depends on what kind of look you want. The wider the horsehair the more body or flair is given to the hemline. With the thinner horsehair, it’ll be less dramatic.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m making Vogue 1172 but not has long as shown. I’m tempted to use really wide (6′) horsehair in the hem, because my daughter wants a really full skirt. But I saw a picture online of a very full shirt with wide horsehair, and you could see a line where the fabric seemed to “fall” over the top edge of the horsehair. I will be underlining the skirt and intend to tack the horsehair to the underlining. Do you think that will avoid the potential for being able to “see” the edge of the horsehair in the finished dress?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

sorry for the delay! I just got back from vacation and now trying to catch up on everything. Yes, if I were you, I would add the horsehair braid to the underlining or lining and that should still give you the volume but be less noticeable. I’d love to see a picture when you finish 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion of adding the horsehair braid to the lining of the dress. I am encountering the same problem now. Dress calls for horsehair, but it is really noticeable at the hemline. I think I’ll try lining the skirt and add horsehair to that as you suggested.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.