Book Promo Banner
Where to buy fabric? What do all the different names mean?

Where to buy fabric? What do all the different names mean?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Where to buy fabric? What do all the different names mean?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by professorpincushion.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    laba5222
    Participant

Hi Professor! Your videos have been amazing and so helpful. One thing I struggle with is understanding the different types of fabrics, and then where to find better patterns and materials than the local stores? Your wisdom would be much appreciated!

professorpincushion
    Participant

Thank you so much for your kind words! I don’t know what kind of local fabric stores you have but I live in a small town and I either have a small JoAnn’s or several quilting stores. So I understand where you’re coming from, because, as someone who likes to sew clothes, I don’t have access to the best selection of apparel fabrics for my area. Fortunately, there are usually good selections online, like fabric.com. They have a huge selection, but the down side is that you can’t tell much about the fabric besides the image and description they provide. The good news is that a lot of online fabric companies will offer to send you swatches, either for free or for a small fee. so you can at least get a sample before committing to buying fabric. As far as understanding the different types of fabric, you can find lists in sewing books or online https://www.textileschool.com/articles/330/type-of-fabrics but it really is something that comes with experience. I worked at a fabric store for three years and I still learn new things about fabrics.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.