Book Promo Banner
When to use serger/overlocker?

When to use serger/overlocker?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question When to use serger/overlocker?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello,
    I am quite new at sewing…please help! firstly, is an overlocker and serger the same thing? I am a bit confused because some people say you should serge the whole fabric before starting and others say that after cutting the pattern (ie. before the seam).
    I don’t have an overlocker/serger to start with….I understand that I could sew a zig zag stitch with my sewing machine instead but, when do I do this? Do I zig zag all the fabric before cutting it? Do I really need a serger as I am serious about sewing?
    At the moment I am making McCalls pattern M5569 – girls’ dress using linen…not sure how fray this is..
    Thank you in advance for any advise or link to videos.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there! Yes, a serger and overlock is the same thing. People use the term interchangeably. To sew, you don’t really need one. I’ve been sewing without one for many years. If you have a sewing machine that can do a zig zag or overcast stitch, you can use this stitch instead. These stitches are great for finishing seams. You have the option of doing these stitches on the edges of your seams after creating a seam. Or if you want to do them all at once, stitch around the individual fabric pieces after you cut them out. This is especially great for fabrics that tend to fray. They may still fray a little but it should cut down the amount of fraying. Plus if you do it after you cut out your fabric pieces, you don’t have to worry about finishing your seams because you’ve already done this part. The overlock machine does this but will give it an even more professional look. They’re a little more affordable now than they used to be but can still be quite pricey so I always add to to my list as a luxury item I strive to get but you can definitely get by without one. If you want to see a quick example of a finished seam, see my tutorial on working with satin.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am fairly new to sewing, but I do have a serger. I use mine to finish the seam on garments. I sew a straight stitch first, try it on, adjust if needed and then serge. I prefer the look of a serged seam on clothing. It’s hard to undo mistakes after you have serged, which is why I use my sewing machine first.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.