Book Promo Banner
Vinyl and Sewing Machines

Vinyl and Sewing Machines

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Vinyl and Sewing Machines

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello there! I found this site through a youtube video titled, “How to Sew with Leather or Vinyl” and I have a quick question. Would I need a specific machine to do a project similar to this? I am trying to sew some velcro strips onto thin clear vinyl for a weather cover for my sons bike trailer. I have no experience with sewing machines so I do not know what I need to be sure that the machine has or what it can do. I have looked into the Brother and Singer brands, mainly because they are the most affordable that I have come across. Would any model of either of those brands work for this kind of material? Thanks so much in advance!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I know that the clear vinyl comes in different gauges or thicknesses so I think you’ll be fine using a regular machine as long as you’re not using the heaviest vinyl the store carries. If you’re using the one of the lighter vinyls, you should be fine. I have sewn with this type of vinyl on my machine before and it was a little tricky as the vinyl seems to stick in place and not feed very smoothly under the machine foot. To get around this, I sandwich the vinyl in between regular gift tissue paper and this really seems to help. After I do a seam or stitch, the tissue paper can just be ripped off and no one is the wiser. good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.