Book Promo Banner
Turtleneck into a collar?

Turtleneck into a collar?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Turtleneck into a collar?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lorianne621
    Participant

Dear Professor P,

Years ago my mom made me a shirt from a turtleneck shirt pattern. She made the sleeves short and put a zipper in the front to make a collar. I can’t seem to figure out how to do this. I loved that shirt and would love to make my own. Even better if I could just buy a shirt and add the zipper. Can you show me how this could be done.

Thanks for all you do.

Lorianne Robinson

professorpincushion
    Participant

sorry, I’m having a little trouble imagining what you’re describing. do you have a picture?

lorianne621
    Participant

Hi Professor P,

Thank you for your reply. I do not have picture of the shirt made years ago. Think of a polo style shirt with a collar made of self fabric with a zipper instead of buttons. My Mother made this for me out of a turtleneck pattern. I think it was probably a mock turtleneck pattern but I am not sure. I was only 18 at the time and I am now 54. My memory has faded. As I recall the ‘turtleneck had the neck part put on in a single layer instead of a double layer like you would usually do. The center front of both the shirt and the ribbing (or self fabric) of the collar were both cut open, the collar all the way and the shirt just part of the way down like a polo shirt. The zipper was inserted into the front opening half way up the collar and the other half of the collar was folded over to meet the inside neck line, covering the zipper. I guess you could stitch in the ditch or hand sew it in place to catch it at the neck line. When the zipper was not zipped all the way up, it created a collar effect.
    I hope all this is making some sense. I have been trying to picture how to make it in my mind for some time but feel I just don’t have the skill to take that plunge. I would love to see a tutorial on a zipper like this to help me along. Any tips you have to help me would be greatly appreciated.

Lorianne Robinson

professorpincushion
    Participant

so it’s kind of in the style of a pullover, with a partial zipper placket in the front….at least that’s what I’m imagining. Check out this pattern: https://butterick.mccall.com/b6241?page_id=147 The next time you’re at the fabric store, you should look it up and maybe just check out the zipper steps (or take a pic with your phone). It might not be exactly what you’re thinking of, but give you an idea on how to put in a partial zipper. We don’t have a tutorial on this particular thing, but may have one in the future.

lorianne621
    Participant

Oh yes!
    This is very helpful. Thank you so much! I will be sure to get this pattern the next time I am out fabric shopping.

Blessings!
    Lorianne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.