Book Promo Banner
Trim off seam allowance while sewing curves

Trim off seam allowance while sewing curves

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Trim off seam allowance while sewing curves

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I am having this question while stitching curves (neckline, armholes …) that I hope you could help me with. Please see the photo attached:

a) To keep the thread in place, I use reverse stitches at the beginning and end of the sewing, in this case, at A, B, C, D of the shoulder seams.

b) Then I put the Facing and the Yoke, right side together, seam allowance opened, to stitch the neck curve.

c) After stitching, I need to trim the seam allowance around the neck curve to make the neck line look flat. But it means that I need to trim off point B and C which are reverse stitches to lock the thread in place. I am afraid that if I trim them off, the thread will get loosen. Could you please advise?

Thank you,
    Emily

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

To lock a seam in place, you do a back stitch. Another way to lock it in place is to have another stitch over it. The stitch you create on the curved neckline goes right over your shoulder seam. So you can safely trim the neckline seam (even at the shoulder seam area) and your shoulder seams are not going to come undone. Does that answer your question? 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.