Book Promo Banner
Thread question

Thread question

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Thread question

Tagged: 

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years, 9 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I have seen the large cones of thread that are used for sergers. Is there a difference between the cone thread and a regular spool of multi purpose thread? Can the cone thread be used in a regular sewing machine for a general craft type project?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

You have to be careful with the thread that you purchase. The type of thread you use can really determine how often you need to get your sewing machine serviced. With using cheap thread, it can be pretty lint-y and this will cause a build up inside your sewing machine. I only say this because sometimes fabric stores can have some really good deals on the cone threads for sergers and you look at it and think, look at all that thread, it’ll last me forever. Usually those amazing sales are for cone threads that are not the best quality. There’s no rule that says you can’t use them with a sewing machine but I probably wouldn’t. I also believe that the thread is not as strong as good quality all purpose thread. On a serger you’re typically using at least 3, 4, or even 5 separate threads in your seams and finish so you’re getting your strength from quantity. Hope this answers your question. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you for the answer, that clears it up for me just perfect.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.