Book Promo Banner
T-shirt neck band topstitch

T-shirt neck band topstitch

Home Page Forums Ask A Question T-shirt neck band topstitch

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Good day, I have this really frustrating problem. I am trying to make a t-shirt, I have a domestic straight stitch sewing machine, and industrial serger, coverseam and twin needle straight stitch machines. Now, when I get to the neck band of the t-shirt, I can serge the neck band to the neck line, but I struggle with the topstiching to finish it off. It’s a cylinder arm coverseam machine, and when I sew, I try to keep line, where the neck band and neckline meet, on the right side of the t-shirt, I try and keep this line centred between the two needles doing the topstitch, but it never stays straight, it always ends up going a bit skew, and even if I try and bring it straight again, by the time I’m done it looks really unprofessional. My question is, is there a certain technique to keeping the stitch straight which I am missing here?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

When you sew are you looking at the right side of the garment? I always care more about what the right side looks like than the backside so that’s the side that I use as my guideline. Even if my wrong side ends up looking slightly less than perfect, hey, at least the front looks great. I’ve learned this lesson after one time doing the complete opposite. I sewed wrong side up because I wanted to make sure the binding was catching but when I finished and flipped it to the right side….let’s just say I was making this face 🙁 . It was, as you say, looking pretty unprofessional. It’s seems like it wouldn’t make a difference, but it does.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.