Book Promo Banner
Swimmable fabric

Swimmable fabric

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Swimmable fabric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I have a trip to Iceland coming up in July, and one of the first things that we’ll be doing is visiting the Blue Lagoon; I thought I should treat myself to a new swimsuit – or rather, now that I’m older, a bikini. However, after being unsatisfied with the range available in my local shops, I thought I’d turn one of my (many!) bras into a bikini top. No problems there, found a tutorial, woop-de-doo.

The problem lies with the fabric. I have some synthetic, striped material that’s been lying around my fabric box and I thought ‘hey, I think I could use this!’. But I don’t know if it’s swimmable or not! It stretches in both directions, it’s thin, and it seems to be okay when I test it, but my fingers are unreliable, and I was wondering; is there any other way to test a fabric to see if it’s swimmable or not?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I would say that as long as the fabric is ok getting wet, then you should be fine. So I would test a scrap by washing it and see how it looks when finished. I don’t know if your fabric is a lycra or cotton knit of some kind but most spandex type fabric does better being hand wash. So take your scrap, use a gentle soap and massage the scrap, rinse and then let it dry. If it seems ok at the end of the process then I think you’ll be fine. Have a great trip!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.