Book Promo Banner
Splicing two different colours into one jacket/tailcoat?

Splicing two different colours into one jacket/tailcoat?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Splicing two different colours into one jacket/tailcoat?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

The topic title is worded weirdly, sorry about that! But, I’m making this outfit (attached shows the front and back and a closer view of the front) and I was wondering how on earth that jacket works? I’ve never made a jacket like this before, let alone with the tailcoat on the back. I was wondering how to splice the two colours together and create the tailcoat on the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Super cute! Are you using a pattern to create this jacket? If so, you can take the jacket back pattern and make a copy of the pattern. From the copy, I would cut out a section where you would want the separate color. Now you have two pattern pieces. Just make sure the add any seam allowance to where jacket back would be sewn to new contrasting piece (on both pieces). And you can always make a muslin to test the back piece to make sure it’s going to have the same look before using more expensive fabric. Also, I would sew these pieces together first before assembling the rest of the jacket. You can do it! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I was thinking of using McCall’s M6172 View A. Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement! x) I was stumped on how to make the jacket so it’s going to make this a whole lot easier!~

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.