Book Promo Banner
Simplicity Pattern Cynthia Rowley 1873 – Fabrics

Simplicity Pattern Cynthia Rowley 1873 – Fabrics

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity Pattern Cynthia Rowley 1873 – Fabrics

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi,

I am making a dress using the simplicity pattern, Cynthia Rowley – 1873. I am going to use the bodice of A and the Skirt of C. I am fairly new to sewing and I would love it if you could help me with my fabric selection.

These are the fabrics the pattern recommends; Lightweight denim, Damask, Pique, Poplin, Sateen, Brocade, Satin, Shantung, Taffeta, Linen Blends, Batiks, Crepe and Silk linen. What fabrics, listed or not, would you recommend as I will be wearing the dress in summer?

The pattern says to sew a lining for the bodice of the dress. As I will be wearing it in summer I would like to use a fabric that is breathable. What fabrics would you recommend for the lining?

Also the pattern says to use an invisible zipper, but I have never sewn a zipper before and I don’t have an invisible zipper foot. I know it won’t look as good but would a centered zipper be easier to sew using this pattern?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hello! Super cute dress! 😀 As far as fabric is concerned, if I were you, I would head to the fabric store and just walk around the apparel fabric section. You can pretty much choose any fabric that is a woven, which means any fabric that is not stretchy. I wouldn’t worry about whether or not it’s a poplin or whatnot. Since you’re a beginner I wouldn’t choose anything super shiny and satin-y because those can be kind of tricky to work with. Just pick something you like and lightweight for summer. For a lining, I would just choose a lightweight cotton. That’s what I prefer to use. Definitely watch our tutorial how to put in an invisible zipper with a lining. You can buy a universal invisible zipper foot and it’s usually by the zipper section at the store and not expensive. Our tutorial shows you how to use the foot and put the zipper. You can do it! And please post a pic when you finish your dress.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.