Book Promo Banner
Simplicity 1873 Dress A

Simplicity 1873 Dress A

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity 1873 Dress A

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m a beginner at following patterns and i’m making dress a for a bioshock cosplay. I’m having alot of trouble with the directions. Its not the directions themselves as it is what you have to do. For example i’m not to experienced with darts. I’m also struggling with attaching the sleeves and the sewing the liner of the sleeves and the bodice to the outside fabric pieces , and as for the skirt portion. It tells me to sew the pieces together then pleat them but i don’t know how to pleat! Also the directions for attaching the skirt to the bodice is confusing as well as the directions for sewing the invisible zipper. If there was a video on this it all it would be FABULOUS! But if there isn’t id be content with text.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

ok, first let’s just take it one step at a time.  If you look at everything at once, it gets confusing and overwhelming, and then it just seems impossible to complete.  So what’s the first thing that it’s asking you to do that you’re confused on?  If I have that, it’s easier for me to reference you to a video tutorial we have that’s similar.  For example, you can see me doing a set of darts in the betty dress 2444 at 28:08 timecode and I also do pleats at 34:08.  It might not be exactly the same as yours but it might help in clearing things up.  But if we just take one confusing step at a time, it’ll be easier.  Also, you can upload an image of the exact direction using the upload/insert button when you type your reply.  Sometimes it’s easier for me to read the directions and see their drawing since I don’t have this exact pattern at my disposal.  You can do it, it just takes some time to learn! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Im having trouble uploading the pictures so heres a link to my photobucket so you can see the first half. I also included the pictures on the side  of the directions. http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/cuteybear251/

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you got past the darts direction with help from the link I included in my other answer. If so we can move on to the next part.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yup im now good on the darts 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Sweet.  Ok, the next few steps is your going to take your front and back bodice pieces and sew them together at the shoulder seams and side seams.  Then just do  exact same steps 1 & 2 for your lining bodice pieces.  Once the lining is done, fold up the bottom edge of the lining bodice (right side of fabric to wrong side of fabric 5/8″.  Press this to create a crease at the bottom of your lining.  Trim fold to 1/4″.  Take lining and fit it over your main (outer shell) fabric, right sides together.  Match the neckline.  They’re exactly the same so they should match perfectly.  Stitch your normal seam allowance here, attaching your lining to the main fabric.  The seam allowance at the neckline should be trimmed and notches clipped so it’ll lie flat when turned right side out.  Watch our tutorial on understitching for step 4.  I used facing in my example but we’ll just pretend it’s lining.  Let me know when you’re done and we’ll move on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.