Book Promo Banner
Simplicity 1819

Simplicity 1819

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity 1819

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m making Simplicity 1819 skirt B. I am joining the skirt front to the apron and cannot get them to match up. I’ve matched all notches and dots and I’m left with an enormous amount of fabric, the entire amount of each side apron panel, on each side. I’m supposed to baste this together. Do I just leave this kind of loosely stitched and not lined up or did I go wrong somewhere?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Sorry, I haven’t made this pattern. I did make their other steampunk dress and found that I had a lot of extra fabric when attaching the bottom ruffle to the bottom of the skirt. You’re just dealing with so much fabric that it’s a lot to handle. What helped me out a lot was easing my fabric and this helped distribute the fabric equally instead of having a chunk bunched up in one area. The general idea is to divide the sections in half with pins and to keep dividing and dividing. To see me do an example, check out this tutorial: https://www.professorpincushion.com/professorpincushion/fabric-easing/

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m about to start making this same pattern (i.e. the B view simplicity 1819) My additional question is do you buy silky lining to match the main fabric? The directions say “A, B Corset Skirt and Bolero in Novelty Borcade, Moire, Jacquards, Taffeta. B flounce in Chiffon.

But it never says, (except for the shirt that is Tricot) what fabric lining you should uses for the corset and skirt?

Also, how did yours turn out Monica? Do you love it? What colors did you pick?

E3F

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

For lining, I always use something that is the same weight or lighter than my main fabric. The fabric store should have a section of fabric called “apparel linings.” They’re usually polyester and shiny. They’re perfectly fine to use but I tend to use just a regular lightweight cotton because it’s usually easier to care for (washable), easier to work with (doesn’t slip around) and feels more comfortable to wear. I wouldn’t think the flounce is going to have any lining to it. I’d love to see a picture when you finish! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.