Book Promo Banner
Simplicity 1248, Step 17

Simplicity 1248, Step 17

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Simplicity 1248, Step 17

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello Professor Pincushion!

I’m working on View A of Simplicity pattern 1248. I’m reading over all the instructions before I get started and I came across step 17 regarding the gathering of the top skirt. I have attached pictures of the instructions as well as the final look on the front of the envelope for reference. I can’t, for the life of me, understand what they mean for me to do with the hem tape. It reads like they want me to apply them hem tape before I gather, but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of cutting it to the correct length (22′) if the hem tape will be gathered as well? Then do stitch through the hem tape at the end? I’m so confused! Thanks for any help you can give.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Sorry for the delay in response. From my understanding, you’re cutting your hem tape 22″. Just pin the top of your hem tape to one of inside seams, just the top of the skirt, so the rest of the hem tape is not attached. Then pull your gathering stitches until that seam is the same length as the 22″. The bottom edge of the hem tape should be turned under 1/4″ just so there’s no raw edge showing. Once it’s the same length, then you can pin the rest of the hem tape to that seam. Then they want you to baste the hem tape into place just to hold everything and then stitch it permanently. You’ll do this for all your seams. I hope that answers your question! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.