Book Promo Banner
Side pockets and use of fusible interfacing

Side pockets and use of fusible interfacing

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Side pockets and use of fusible interfacing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, I’m new to sewing and reading a pattern for some pants with side pockets (Kwik Sew pattern 3701 – harem pants). I says to attach interfacing to one part of each pocket, but it doesn’t say which part, i.e. is it the part that will sit against the fabric of the trouser leg or is it the part that will sit against your leg? If I had to go by logic, I’d say the bit that sits against your leg as it probably has more wear and tear, but some advice very much appreciated. Also on the picture it looks like the bit of interfacing is not covering the whole of the pocket piece, but rather just along the seam, but the instructions mention nothing about the shape or size of the bit of interfacing.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Interesting, I actually haven’t seen interfacing used on those types of pockets before so I don’t know what the technical answer is but my instinct tells me that the interfaced pocket should go towards the back of the back of the pants so I would say that you’re right. Usually, the interfaced piece is smaller than its matching fabric piece because you don’t need interfacing in the seam allowance area and it just might make it unnecessarily bulky. So anytime you cut out an interface piece, you can just make it smaller by whatever the seam allowance is.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.