Book Promo Banner
Should I sew the women’s clothes?`

Should I sew the women’s clothes?`

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Should I sew the women’s clothes?`

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello:

As a man should I spend my time learning how to sew women’s clothes? I mean I don’t plan on sewing women’s clothes. I mostly want to sew for myself (mens clothes), home decor and bags, totes.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I feel like you answered your own question, because you said you wanted to sew for yourself. You should sew things that get you excited, that way you stay inspired. There is definitely more women’s patterns out there than men’s, but I’m definitely seeing more men become interested in sewing. Let the pattern companies know you exist and what type of things you would like to make and, maybe, if they hear from enough men, this can turn around and more men’s patterns could become available. Or if you get good enough at sewing you can start to design things that you like and want to make.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I kinda think that maybe sewing some of the women’s clothes might help with technique on the men’s clothes. Just my opinion. Pleats, facings, hems, sleeves, etc. are on men’s clothes, too. If I make something for women, I always make it in a size to give my disabled cousin. She likes to look nice, too, so I kinda help her along. Maybe there is a woman who would be appreciative of your talent.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

DaleB, that’s a very good idea. Menswear doesn’t have as many ‘beginner’ options, but you could also practice technique on home decor and bags. I’ve practiced on my children’s clothes, too. The good thing about menswear is you don’t have to worry as much about trends: I’m sure you won’t have to deal with puffy sleeves, full bust adjustment, ruffles and etc. I’ve been sewing a long tome now and have lots of patterns that I only used once and 3 patterns that I go to again and again, making small alterations for style. Don’t be afraid to try a few brands to get what’s right for you, but don’t be ashamed to enjoy your faithful pattern once you find it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.