Book Promo Banner
Short Sleeves with interfacing.

Short Sleeves with interfacing.

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Short Sleeves with interfacing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am sewing a dress that has short sleeves and a interfacing.Therefore, I have two cut out 4 sleeves with two that are covered in interfacing. I have read the directions over and over again but it is like they are speaking Chinese. Can you point me in the right direction? I’ve put sleeves in before but the interfacing part has scared me. I am using Butterick pattern B4386 view B and am having problems with direction 53-56. Thanks  !

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello! Sorry to hear about your frustration with these sleeves, but don’t worry, because I’m here to help and we’ll get through this together. 😀 First, are you sure there’s interfacing on the sleeves? Unless this was some costume with elaborate sleeves, interfacing doesn’t seem necessary. The directions doesn’t show any interfacing and “facing” is different than interfacing. It looks like you have sleeve pieces and sleeve facing pieces (sleeve facing just means it’s like a sleeve lining). If you look at the actual sleeve pattern, does it actually say cut 2 out of interfacing? If so, that’s kinda weird. But let’s just go over the directions for now: Take each of your sleeve pieces, (outside sleeve fabric and facing sleeve) and you’re going to sew the underarm seams for each sleeve piece. Pair off the pieces so that you have a sleeve and a sleeve facing next to each other. Turn the sleeve facing wrong side out. Sleeve should still be right side out. Put the sleeve inside of the sleeve facing, so you have one fitting inside the other and they’re right sides together. You’re next going to sew the bottom hemline of the sleeve and sleeve facing together, just the hemline. Trim this seam after you finish. Start pulling the sleeves apart, but because they’re sewn at the hemline they won’t be able to come apart completely. Take your trimmed seam allowance and fold it towards the sleeve facing. Because you’re pulling your sleeves apart, this seam allowance should only be under the sleeve facing. Looking at the right side of the sleeve facing fabric, you’re going to stitch next to the hemline seam line, thereby permanently stitching that seam allowance to the sleeve facing section. Once this is done, flip the sleeve completely, so that the sleeve facing is inside the sleeve but now the wrong sides of the fabric are together. Then they just want you to baste the curvy sleeve cap section of the sleeve, so that the sleeve and sleeve facing stay together and then you just treat it like a regular sleeve. And if you’re reading this and going “ugh, I still don’t get it!”, I recommend just starting, because sometimes things make more sense if you start sewing and you can physically look at the piece instead of reading ahead and trying to understand everything before getting started. You can also take a look at the sleeve I did for this video which is kind of a similar process and maybe it might be helpful. http://youtu.be/gwWenYFLS18?t=1h17m53s Don’t give up and please post a pic when you finish your dress 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks for the insight. This site is a God send :). I will be sure to send a photo of the dress. I am putting the sleeves in now. However, since this is my first time ever completeing a pattern on my own I used cream Muslim fabric and dark thread. Surprisingly though, most of it has been a breeze. I finished understitching the sleeves with ease.:) Do you know of any ACAD software that will aid in design of my own clothing creation or pattern? Thanks so much!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Sorry, I haven’t used any ACAD software yet so I can’t make any recommendations. 🙁 All my knowledge comes from my vintage pattern making books.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi Professor Pincushion. I’ve been through with the project it just took me forever to clean out my iron vents and I had to since of the cream like colored dress. The muslin fabric also strunk and I had to use another one of your videos to make myself some bias tape. Thanks for all your help. The dress was never meant to be worn and was only for pratice but it fits so well, we will see what happens.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I agree, that dress fits you perfectly! Great job! Now that you know all the ropes, the next time you make it, it’ll be a breeze 😀 Thanks for sharing.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I agree. Thank you so much. Already on to a new project for my daughter who is only 15 but has been awarded a internship in the Federal Criminal justice system. She is required to wear suits so I found a pretty Vogue skirt pattern and I’m making her a vest. :), may have to call on you for the button portions as I’ve never them in a pattern.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.