Book Promo Banner
SEWING TANK TOPS/TSHIRTS

SEWING TANK TOPS/TSHIRTS

Home Page Forums Ask A Question SEWING TANK TOPS/TSHIRTS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi I am new to both sewing and Professor Pincushion. I watched the video on how to draft a pattern from existing clothes in which there was a vest top which had contrast binding around the arms and neck. I went premium so I could watch the basic tank top assembly. However, I can find nothing which shows how to add the contrast binding and was wondering if there is such a video on how to do this. The basic tank top assembly does show how to attach a neckline and armline but not contrast binding. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for the excellent videos which makes it all look so easy!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hi there! The process is exactly the same. If you want a contrasting binding, you just have to purchase a contrasting, similar fabric but you would still do everything else the same.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you for coming back to me! As I said I am new to sewing so I may not be explaining myself properly! On the video where you use your striped knitted vest, the neck and armholes have a contrast binding that looks as though it has been placed on the edges and double topstitched on to the vest, rather than added to create a flat neck or armline. I have T shirts that have similar finishes and I am trying to recreate that. I don’t know if I am using the right terms but they look as though bias binding (cut crosswise not on the bias) made from the same fabric, but a different colour, has been stitched onto the arm and necklines. I hope you understand all that! Thank you.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I think I see what you’re saying. As far as I’ve seen, there is no bias binding that you can buy that’s like woven bias tape for stretchy fabrics, so the process is a little different. And because you’re already working with a stretchy knit you don’t need to cut the binding pattern on the bias. If you want something similar to the striped tank, I would just make the binding a little wider, so after you stitch it to the armhole, you can then fold it back over to the wrong side and then double stitch it. So the folded edge of the binding ends up on the inside of the tank top, giving you a neater look. I’ve done this for a few of my tank tops and it has more of a similar look. For double stitching you can purchase a twin needle. I hope that makes sense. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for your helpful reply 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.