Book Promo Banner
sewing patches on leather

sewing patches on leather

Home Page Forums Ask A Question sewing patches on leather

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years, 2 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi! I have been putting off the project of sewing my numerous patches on my leather jacket because I don’t really know how to do so. Do you have any experience in this? I watched your tutorial on sewing with leather but was hoping I might get your expertise on sewing patches specifically. Thanks so much on advance!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hmmm…I haven’t done leather repair yet. If you’re doing repairs, maybe try using leather glue instead of sewing the patches on. It might make the repairs less noticeable and less scary to try. Let me know how it works out. 🙂 Here’s one brand but there are others out there: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duncan-73-2-Aleene-s-Leather-Suede-Glue/25481235

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

oops- just saw I spelled leather kooky 🙂
    I actually am not talking about repairing leather, but rather affixing individual patches on a leather jacket with a sewing machine. I was wondering if you had experience with that in terms of the needle, thread, type of stitch, tension tricks, etc….

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

oh got it! Are you using just a regular home sewing machine? If so, I would be concerned that maybe your machine might not be able to handle sewing through leather and a decorative patch. That would be really pushing a machine and if you push it too much you could break something inside. You’ll notice professional companies that do this type of service are using an industrial machine to do it. Another idea, maybe call your local dry cleaners and see if that’s something they could do for a small fee or they know of a local company that does it.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yeah…. I thought perhaps my machine wouldn’t be tough enough, but I really wanted to learn and do it myself. I will look into your recommendations. Thanks so much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.