Book Promo Banner
sewing multiple bodice cut outs

sewing multiple bodice cut outs

Home Page Forums Ask A Question sewing multiple bodice cut outs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kardaramie
    Participant

I watched your wonderful video demonstrating the heart-shaped cutout on a bodice front. I want to sew a bodice for my daughter with a row of diamond-shaped cutouts along the neckline but I cannot figure out how to do it neatly. Any ideas?

professorpincushion
    Participant

With a single cutout, you can do a full lining like I did. With multiple cutouts, it gets to be a little more difficult, because if you try to do a full lining, now you can’t turn it out after you’ve sewn all the cutouts. There is something you can do, but it just doesn’t look as nice on the wrong side of the bodice. So instead of having the bodice fabric piece and a lining piece, you’re just going to have the bodice fabric piece and then fabric pieces that are larger than your finished cutout size. So let’s say you want to do a 2″ diamond and you cut out a piece of fabric that’s a 4″ square, just as an example. The next steps are very similar to what you’ve already seen. Place the square center on the area where you want the cutout, right sides together, on the bodice fabric. Sew your design, cut out the center of the design, flip the square fabric to the inside, stitch around the cutout and then I would trim the square fabric close to your stitches. Then you just repeat the process for each cut out. So the fabric on the inside isn’t cover the whole inside like a lining but instead it’s serving only the purpose of finishing the edges of your cutouts. Hope this answers your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.