Book Promo Banner
Sewing a Yoke On a Toddler Dress

Sewing a Yoke On a Toddler Dress

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Sewing a Yoke On a Toddler Dress

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m a first time sewer and I’m attempting to make a dress for my two year old using Simplicity pattern 7189, dress B. I’ve cut out all the pieces now and am ready to start sewing however the very first directions are confusing me.  I need to sew the yoke first and it looks as if they had me cut out too many pieces. I have two for the front and four pieces for the back (there is a zipper.) However the picture that shows you sewing the shoulders together show only three pieces ( front wrong side up and two back pieces right side up.) The pattern does say to cut 2 of the front piece (on the fold) and four of the back piece. Do I need all six pieces?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I just did something similar!  First, you do not have too many pieces.  Did they ask you to apply fusible interfacing to 1 front and 2 back yoke pieces?  Those 3 pieces are the yoke and you just stitch a back yoke to each side of the front yoke.  Those “extra pieces” will probably be used as facing pieces.  So you will eventually do the same thing as you did with the yoke.  The two back pieces get sewn to the front piece (but no interfacing on this set).  The facing yoke will eventually get sewn onto the real yoke to create a finished neckline.  Hopefully, that clears it up for you.  As long as you cut out all the pieces that is printed on the pattern pieces, then I’m sure you did it right.  Good luck and we’d love to see it when you finish!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for your quick response!  I’m just now reading in step 22 that it says: “Stay-stitch neck edge and stitch shoulder seams of yoke facing same as for yoke, see steps 1 and 2.” So I guess I will have two sets.  Unfortunately I already went ahead and ironed on interfacing to all six pieces, so I guess it will just be super sturdy!  Good for a toddler I guess.  ha-ha! I have to say though, I’m getting quite nervous about the bias fold tape.  Those directions seem impossible for a “newbee!” LOVE your videos!  You’re a savior!!!

Anonymous

Hi,

I don’t know How to sew a dress, but I want to start learning sewing because my sister is going to deliver a baby in a few months. So I want to give her a baby dress made by me.

So will you guys send me any link from where I can learn sewing easily?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.