Book Promo Banner
selecting a sewing machine

selecting a sewing machine

Home Page Forums Ask A Question selecting a sewing machine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am brand new to sewing, etc. I want to make a box quilt. I need to purchase a sewing machine. I have been told that there are A) “mechanical” sewing machines that offer 13-37 stitches; B) “electronic” sewing machines that offer 30-160 stitches (some machines are programmable); and C) “Embroidery / Sewing” machines which offer 100 – 460 stitches (some machines are programmable). Can I get away with a ‘mechanical” machine for the project that I want to do? if yes, I was told that Kenmore makes decent “mechanical” machines, for a good price. Any thoughts?
    Also, after I am successful with my box quilt – I plan on making a simple hunting coat (called a “rifleman’s frock”) out of thick wool – from a pattern that I have. It doesn’t have to be “perfect”, because it’s just to keep me warm outside in the woods. Will a “mechanical” machine go through thick wool?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Update from Novice Seamstress: OK. I now know that the number of stitches is just how many different stitch types it can perform, NOT the number of stitches per a given length. So, I won’t need more than 5 or so. It appears that what really matters is if the machine can go through “heavier” fabric without problems, because the quilt will be 3 layers (the pattern layer, the backing, and the padding in the middle. I can’t spend too much money (under $200-250). Any thoughts or suggestions?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

You are correct that you don’t need a lot of stitch types. If you plan on just doing quilting and apparel sewing, you can get away with a machine that does a straight stitch, zig zag, and buttonhole stitch. I always recommend checking overstock.com. They have pretty good deals and you can read the reviews of purchasers. Even if you don’t purchase through overstock, it’s a good place to start your research. I think it’s a good idea to start with a simple machine that’s not too expensive and then once you get into sewing and know what type of sewing you’d like to do, you can always invest in a more expensive machine. If you have a large fabric store near you, you might find a dedicated sewing machine department and you can test drive machines to see what you like. Or if you find a brand that you’re interested in, you can search for a local dealer. Usually, if you purchase a machine through them, they’ll offer a beginning class to show you how to use the machine. Also, for quilting (going through a bunch of layers) you can get a regular machine and then get a walking foot attachment. A walking foot comes in handy all the time so I always recommend investing in one. They usually don’t carry walking foots in the fabric store, it’s something you have to get from the sewing machine dealer.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. In looking into what it will cost me to buy a decent machine which will manage the project that I want to create ( a box quilt) – I realize that I don’t have enough money at this time. Three people in my congregation have offered to loan me their machines. A Pfaff Hobby 1042; an Elna 101; and an old Singer 403 from the 1960’s. The Elna needs some repair which I would have to pay for. The Singer is in perfect condition, but I don’t know if I can buy and install a “walking foot” and a ” 1/4″ offset foot guide” (I think that’s what it’s called?) – which I am told is helpful in quilt making. The Singer seems to be built very well, and the motor seems strong – but the machine design seems old and outdated, maybe? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly welcomed.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

That’s so nice of people and a tough decision. 🙂 I know that the Pfaff is a top quality machine, one of the best brands you can get. I wouldn’t discount an old machine like the Singer though as these machines were built to last and can hold up better than a lot of the new machines today. If you do want to do quiltiing, find a dealer near you and see what options you have for a walking foot. That might make the decision for you as I think a walking foot is an definitely needed if you plan on quilting. It just makes things so much easier. Let me know how it works out 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.