Book Promo Banner
Right side or wrong side?

Right side or wrong side?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Right side or wrong side?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I have another question. Does fabric that is not printed, i.e. the pattern is woven by colored threads, have a right side or a wrong side? They look the same on both sides. When I cut the fabric into the pieces, does it matter what side you designate as right side? When I make the markings from the pattern, can I use the inside fabric? I use tailor’s tack to mark circles and also the notches and other points that I think will help me keep everything pieced correctly. But, there are some markings that need tracing paper and wheel. It is easier to put the paper between the top fabric and the bottom fabric.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yes, there’s always a right side to fabric, although, as you discovered, sometimes it’s almost impossible to tell from looking at it. One clue is how it is displayed at the fabric store. You’ll notice that quilters fabric is on a bolt, folded with the right side out, same with home dec fabric. Apparel fabric that is draped is usually the opposite, folded but the right side is on the inside. Another clue is looking at the tiny holes on the selvages. One side of the holes will be smoother than the other side. The smooth side is the right side. But, honestly, I never spend too much time stressing out about it. If you can’t tell the difference, no one else will either and all they’ll see is an awesome person rocking their handmade garment. (PS., yes you can make your marks on the inside, if you want.) Have a good day! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.