Book Promo Banner
Recommend A Machine

Recommend A Machine

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Recommend A Machine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Do you have a suggestion for a sewing machine for a beginner? I really don’t want something elaborate, complicated and expensive. I was actually going to purchase an old treadle machine on Craigslist until I watched one of your videos where you created a hemstitch. Very cool. I’d like to try that.
    I just want to do simple mending, and maybe try to make linens for my church. The Catholic church uses embroidered linens for communion, and they need new ones. I watched your video on “tea towels,” and it looked like fun, and very easy!
    Thank you!
    Oh, and one more question. Do you know someone that can make a pattern from an existing garment, and maybe reproduce it? I have an old FLAX robe that I have completely worn out, but miss terribly!
    Thank you!!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hi there! I’m so glad you want to take up sewing as a new hobby! 😀 I have been asked this question many times but, have to admit, I’m not a sewing machine expert because I’ve been using the same machine for many years. (We’re almost coming up on our 20 year anniversary!) Here’s a response I gave to someone else: https://www.professorpincushion.com/forums/topic/sewing-machine-blues/#post-9781 Craigslist is a great place to look for machines. I’ve even seen ones like mine. You can set up a search notification on craigslist so that you’ll get an email every time someone posts an ad for a sewing machine. Since you know you want to do hemstitching, definitely look for a machine that can do a few extra decorative stitches. This doesn’t mean you need to buy a $2000 machine, as even some of the inexpensive machines can have decorative stitch options.
    As far as getting someone to create a pattern for you. Maybe ask around at your local fabric store. Many of them have a binder or bulletin board where people advertise services. Also, you can try craigslist for this as well. Good luck! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.