Book Promo Banner
Prom Dress Help

Prom Dress Help

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Prom Dress Help

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m having some troubles with my prom dress I’m creating. It’s going fine so far but I’m contemplating how to size the skirt and attach it to the bodice.
    I’m using an altered (for a deeper V shape) bodice from the simplicity 4070 pattern and the skirt (that will hopefully have a hoop underneath) from the simplicity 3878 pattern.
    Although its depicted for the skirt that its quite ruffled and full, the pattern itself is quite slim fitting and realistically I want more of a ‘ball gown’ shape with a hoop underneath, so I’m unsure how to increase the size of the layers of tulle to go upon the lining for the skirt?
    Also I don’t know if I read something wrong, but to me it seems quite hard to sew the satin lining (from the pattern) of the skirt to the bodice if the skirt has already been sewn on each side edge when the bodice still isn’t fully completed?
    Thank you for any help!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hmmm….as far the skirt is concerned, maybe use a stiffer netting as opposed to tulle. it’ll give a more structured skirt. Then for the underskirt, you can sew in boning at the bottom and then even add another tulle or organza underskirt under that to get more fullness. I don’t know what the individual skirt pattern pieces look like, but if you want to add extra fullness at the bottom, you can extend the edge at the hemline and blend this line up to the side seam of the skirt pattern. I don’t have this pattern so I haven’t read the directions, but, generally, you’ll create the outer skirt, create the lining skirt and then baste them together at the waistline. Once this is done, you can attach the bodice, but, yes, the bodice needs to be completed before it’s attached to the skirt pieces. good uck! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.