Book Promo Banner
Plus Size to Big For Pattern

Plus Size to Big For Pattern

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Plus Size to Big For Pattern

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

i am a size 24 but my measurements are way bigger than on the ones on the envelope. how can i enlarge a pattern?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hi there, Quick question. When you say you’re a 24, is that based on a retail size 24? (Meaning you buy ready-to-wear clothes that are size 24) Retail sizing and pattern sizing are different so I’m just trying to clarify. thanks!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

ready to wear from a store. bust 52, waist 45, hips 56 1/2

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Got it.  Well, as you’re probably aware now, you can’t use retail sizing to pick out your pattern.  Your pattern sizing will always be a larger number than the retail size.  They just have their own system.  If you go here, you can see the full measurement chart used by Simplicity.  Based on your measurements, I would say you’re a 30W.  Simplicity (and the other pattern companies) do carry a selection of patterns for plus size measurements.  You can see Simplicity’s here.    I looked at a couple of them and, unfortunately, I don’t know if it’s standard but it seems the largest they carry is 28W, which is one size smaller than what you need.  The good news is that it’s only smaller by a couple inches and if you follow our commercial pattern alterations on bust increase and waist increase (hip increase is soon to follow), I think you can make these patterns work for you.  As always, I recommend that when you do any alteration, always make a muslin that you can baste together to make sure that you’re going to like alterations before using more expensive fabric.  Also, it probably wouldn’t hurt to inquire with the pattern companies themselves, because the more people who do that, the more they will realize that there is a demand for the larger sizes.  Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.