Book Promo Banner
Pleat Underlay – sewing Simplicity patter 9823

Pleat Underlay – sewing Simplicity patter 9823

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Pleat Underlay – sewing Simplicity patter 9823

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi
    I’m a beginner sewer working on a skirt using Simplicity pattern number 9823 – see here for a picture http://moonwishesstore.ecrater.com.au/p/4252351/simplicity-sewing-pattern-9823-misses-size-8-14
    The section on how to sew the pleat underlay aren’t very clear. Can anyone help me with some advice on how to sew a pleat underlay?
    In particular I’m not sure what to do when the instructions say ‘pin upper edges of pleat underlay and skirt together’.
    Nor am I sure what to do with the section of the pleat underlay that extends to the top of the skirt.
    Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated, especially if it came in the form of a video!
    The pleat underlay is the reason why I chose to make this skirt – if I can work it out I can see myself making a bunch of them, for weekends and for work.
    Thanks so much!
    Monika

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there, I don’t have this pattern but it might help if you can include a picture of the written/picture direction. I’ll try to help if I can.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, and thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    I have actually gone ahead and made the skirt according to the instructions, but it still seems odd to me that a piece of fabric would be loose/unsecured under the skirt (ie, the sides of the underlay piece which appear to be only secured around the please and at the top of the skirt.
    I’d really like to make this skirt again, so any advice you can provide would be great.

Thanks again 🙂
    Monika

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hmmm….that doesn’t make any sense to me either. Are you doing view D, the one the model is wearing? The sides of the pleat do look like they’re attached to the other parts of the skirt and it doesn’t make sense that they’d just be flapping around unfinished. It’s just really hard for me to tell looking at this picture. You might want to send an email or call customer service at Simplicity. I would think that the sides would be sewn at the same time that you sew the top so that the pleat is secured on three sides.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi PP 🙂
    I contacted Simplicity who said ‘Pattern 9823 is discontinued; unfortunately we only keep discontinued patterns for two years. Since this is a discontinued pattern I am unable to view it and therefore cannot supply you with the information you request. ‘
    I’ve uploaded a picture of the relevant page from the pattern instructions – the picture in step 4 shows how the pleat underlay is secured at the waist, and around the pleat, but the top third of the underlay is not attached.
    Also, I really don’t understand what the picture in the circle is requiring…
    I feel a bit embarassed as it’s a ‘simplicity’ pattern and just a basic skirt…! That said, I’ve almost finished the skirt (top part of underlay loose beneath the skirt and all) and really like it – it has a nice pencil skirt shape, but the pleat underlay gives me the ability to move freely in a way that an open split wouldn’t. I will definitely make it again. Any advice you can give me on how to improve the underlay part would be great. If it’s supposed to be loose at the top I can absolutely live with that.
    Thanks for listening 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Simplicity pattern 9823, Skirt with pleat underlay, View D steps 1-4

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Ok, you are correct that you are basting the top of the underlay and skirt together. At the bottom of the underlay, you are stitching along the edges of the skirt extension and underlay together, but you’ll see that the stitches go up the sides and then go into the middle of the underlay to the large dot. The extra direction in the circle is just showing you that you sew each side separately, ending at the large dot, instead of one long continuous stitch. When you’re sewing at your machine, have the skirt be on top and the underlay be on the bottom. It might be easier to see the large dot on the skirt. After this point the other part of the underlay, between this area and top of the skirt is loose. Because of step 3, the skirt should be stitched underneath for now. I’d be interested to see what the next few steps tell you to do. Hope this helps a little.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Dear PP
    Thanks for this, much appreciated.
    Here’s the rest of the instructions for View D, hope they’re of interest.
    Monika 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hmm…it’s interesting if a little confusing. It looks like they don’t even touch back on the underlay again even to say remove basting stitches so your pleat will open up and show the underlay underneath. did you finish the skirt?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.