Book Promo Banner
Pattern sizing

Pattern sizing

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Pattern sizing

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am confused with the pattern sizing on my McCalls Pattern M6883 … On the back of the envelope seal there are one set of sizes … another set on the bottom of the back , then others on the actual pattern piece … It is for my sister in Australia and not sure which ones to follow to be as accurate as I can …
    ALSO: She is 39.6 in the bust …. 36.6 in the waist … 41 in the hip … which pattern size do you recommend me using. ….
    I have been watching and LOVING all your altering videos , but want to know which pattern size I should start with …
    REGARDS …

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am confused as to which measurement to alter … for example the waist measurement on the back of the envelope says for size 14 = 28 / and on the pattern piece it says 14 = 31 ….. I have to increase the waist , so not sure which one I go by to increase …

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

For alterations and for figuring out the pattern size, use the body measurements on the back of the envelope. The measurement on the pattern is still the same size but the 31 is indicating what the final measurement is with “ease”. So when they originally created the pattern, they made it for a 28 in mind, but because of style and comfort, they added an additional 3″ and it does look like the waist is a little loose and not skin tight. So in order to have a similar affect, you would base your increase on the 28″. I hope this helps and if you’re interested in learning more about ease, watch our tutorial on functional and design ease.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.