Book Promo Banner
Pattern Alterations Slash and Spread Method

Pattern Alterations Slash and Spread Method

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Pattern Alterations Slash and Spread Method

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I am a new sewer and have yet to sew a garment from scratch. My main issue is with resizing commercial patterns to fit my body shape. I have all of my body measurements down. However, I am unsure of how to measure the actual commercial pattern to apply the changes. I guess the added ease on the pattern is throwing me off. I’ve read that the slash and spread method allows you to alter the back and front sections of the pattern more precisely. Do you plan on filming a tutorial on detailed pattern alterations from beginning to end?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hello. We don’t have a single tutorial that tackles all pattern alterations but instead we have a few that tackles some of the more common alterations and I show how to do the pivot and slide method instead of the slash and spread. They both can achieve the same results, it’s just whatever one you find yourself more comfortable with. I know you said you took your body measurements, but I think the next step would be to decide on what size pattern you would like to work with. Usually, we can’t all fit in the nice little box that pattern companies set up, so there may be some adjustment needed. The type of garment you’re wanting to make, usually plays a role in what body measurement should take the most precedence in choosing a size. Even though you’ve already done all the body measurements, I really recommend this tutorial: https://www.professorpincushion.com/professorpincushion/measurements/ I not only tackle measurements but then also talk about how to choose your size. While ease is important, you should really use body measurements for choosing your size, just to keep things simple. Once you choose a size then you can worry about adjustments. We have increase/decrease bust, waist, and hips. Each one is a separate tutorial. If you end up making any adjustments, be sure to make a muslin, which means basting your pieces out of cheap, similar fabric together enough so you can try it on, test the fit, and see if you need to make further adjustments. Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.