Book Promo Banner

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Newbie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I have always been interested in sewing but don’t know where to begin, I am brutal with a basic needle and thread and wanted advice on what sewing machine would be the easiest to start with. I want to learn how to sew clutch purses and bags and headbands for my kids and my bridal party since I was recently engaged…knowing how to sew would come in handy as well for my table runners and table clothes…any advice?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Congratulations on your engagement! I got married a couple of years ago, and being the crafty person that I am, I couldn’t wait to start sewing for my wedding. There’s so much inspiration out there that it was inevitable for projects to build upon projects. So, based on my experience, I will tell you not to let yourself get too overwhelmed, especially since you’re also embarking on a new hobby. I feel like sewing already has enough pressure as a lot of people expect to pick it up quickly, but there’s definitely a learning curve to it and it does take some time to get the hang of it. I think it’s great that you want to sew some extra special things for your wedding. I would suggest to only pick a couple projects and calender yourself a deadline. If not done by that date, give yourself a backup plan. If you finish early and have extra time and sanity, then you can pick another sewing project to give yourself. What I don’t think people realize about sewing, is that it isn’t always cheaper to to DIY, including your time and effort, and things always (ALWAYS) take longer to accomplish than you think. I still underestimate how long something is going to take me and simple things I guess will only take an hour ends up taking me 5 hours.
    With the projects you mention, I would say you could use a basic machine. I recommend checking out overstock.com. I’m not a machine expert, so at least through overstock, amazon, and walmart, you can read reviews of other people that have the same machine. I wouldn’t spend more than $200 on a machine, unless you discover that you absolutely love sewing and want to upgrade up. I like overstock, not only for reviews but also because you can get refurbished machines so maybe it’ll be more bang for your buck. Just be sure to review their policy and warranties. Here’s a machine that seems to get favorable reviews from people http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Singer-7463-Sewing-Machine-Refurbished/6468285/product.html
    Usually through Walmart you can even find basic machines for under $100. Again, I would be sure to read people’s reviews as they will be the best judge on the machine.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.