Book Promo Banner
Multiple Patterns At the SAME time

Multiple Patterns At the SAME time

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Multiple Patterns At the SAME time

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I was looking for a tutorial about how (rules) of using one or more patterns put together to get one shirt. I basically want one shirt shape, a different sleeve and back. I am trying to put 3 different patterns’ together. but not sure if I should be following any guide lines. I am not a beginner and know how to read patterns pretty good. Do I use like one pattern as the base?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Neato! I call it the Frankenstein Pattern. 😀 I guess the hardest part is going to match the back and front. If it’s just a regular set-in sleeve, you should have to do much adjustment since its eased in anyway, but we want to make sure the armhole isn’t going to be out of whack because the shoulder and side seams don’t match up. It’s easy enough to work out though. I would start with the front being the base and adjust the back pattern if necessary. If it were me, put the back down on the table with some tracing or tissue paper underneath the shoulder/armhole section. Bring in the front pattern, bringing shoulder seam to shoulder seam of front and back together. Make sure the armholes are on the same side so you know you’re placing them together right. Are they the same length? If not, adjust by drawing on your tracing paper to make the back the same as the front. I think it’s better to match up the neckline and adjust the shoulder at the armhole side if needed. Now do the same thing with the side seam. If there’s any darts on these seams, they need to be closed up before matching side seam to side seam. You’ll do this process for any seam that will eventually be sewn together. Afterwards, I would definitely baste a muslin together to make sure your adjustments work before making the real thing. good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.