Book Promo Banner
Lining Verses Facing

Lining Verses Facing

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Lining Verses Facing

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi, I am making a summer dress for a wedding (I am attending not getting married).  Would the lining add an a crispness and finish to the garment that would be better than facings the pattern calls for?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

It depends on what kind of a look you would want the dress to have. Putting in a lining is definitely going to lend to a more finished look on the inside of the dress and will also give more body to the shape. Facing is mainly used for finishing raw edges like a sleeveless bodice or a neckline with no collar. Also, if you want your dress to appear more flowy and light, than I would just do the facing and skip the lining. You also have the option of doing half and half if the pattern you’re working on has a separate bodice and skirt piece. So you can do the facing in the bodice but add a lining to the skirt portion. Also, keep in mind that the lining might make the dress warmer to wear in the summer. I’d love to see it when you finish. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

If you really want to line the dress but don’t want it to be too structured, try using a light fabric (chiffon, gauze, organza, etc) rather than traditional lining material.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Well, I do want to line the dress, however, professor pincushion has a point, it will be late June and will be hot.  Any ideas for a lining that would be breathable, cool, and provide structure?  (Not that I want my cake and eat it too, lol) Does anyone have ideas or suggestions, I know that my “wants” are big.  I am a new sewer of garments, anyone with tips or tricks, I will take all that I can get. Thank you and look forward to hearing your ideas.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Maybe use a batiste fabric, as it’s very lightweight and breathable. You can see a sample here: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=572b9702-1eda-47c1-96da-e3a08ffa207d

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.