Book Promo Banner
Lining “the Staple dress”

Lining “the Staple dress”

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Lining “the Staple dress”

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 3 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello everyone,
    I began sewing a few months ago. I am starting ” the Staple dress” pattern. I chose a linen blend fabric that is a little too see-through so I need to line it. I have a few questions.
    1. What type of fabric should I use for the lining?
    2. How should I line it? Should I sew the dress and lining first and then put them together? Sew them both as one? Sew only the bodice and elastic waist together?
    I have looked up tutorials but I am still unsure how to proceed with this particular dress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much in advance!
    Link to pattern http://april-rhodes.com/collections/patternshop/products/the-staple-dress-pdf

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

that’s a super cute dress! I would line with the lightweight polycotton fabric. These are usually by the 100% solid cotton fabrics. Just get the lightest weight one you can find. Just realize that linen plus lining might alter the draping of this style, making it a little less flowy. I can’t see the instructions but if it were me, I think treating the lining as an underlining would be the easiest thing, especially with that elastic waist. We have a tutorial here on Underlining: https://www.professorpincushion.com/professorpincushion/underlining/ You’re essentially basting main fabric and underlining together after you cut your pieces out and then treating them as a single piece when it comes to construction of the garment. good luck!

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you for being so helpful! I can’t wait to put this dress together.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.