Book Promo Banner
Laying out material…picture shows part of pattern is off the material.,.why?

Laying out material…picture shows part of pattern is off the material.,.why?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Laying out material…picture shows part of pattern is off the material.,.why?

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 8 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

i’m starting out and need help. i watched the laying out a pattern tutorial however did not see what my pattern is showing. It shows for laying out the pattern I should hae the material folded and on the fold I place one of my pattern pieces, however it shows a small part of the pattern piece off of the material and there is a line in the drawing on the pattern piece but there’s no line on the actual pattern piece. does that make sense? .i’ve attached a picture. it’s for piece 23 and 33.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

huh….I’ve never seen anything like that. What are the cutting directions on the actual pattern piece for 23?

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

There are no cutting instructions. It’s a MCCalls pattern. there are instructions that show how to lay the pieces out on the material and there are instructions for sewing the pieces together but no direction on actually cutting the material. unless I’m just not seeing it. It shows to lay out the pattern piece on the right side of the material and on the pattern piece it says to cut out 2 of each of those pieces. I’ll go to the McCalls website and see if I can find some info and I’ll come here and post it just in case anyone else comes across this issue .

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

No, I’m talking about on the physical pattern #23. Usually, under the number it’ll say “cut 2 on fold” This may at least give us a hint.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

oh, wait, I see it says “cut two”. On the pattern does it show any side is “placed on fold”? If not, then I would guess that it doesn’t actually need to be placed on the fold. If it just says cut two then I would just cut 2 and ignore the confusing pattern layout. As long as you follow the grainline, you should be fine. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

it doesn’t say anywhere on it place on fold. it just shows in the picture that it’s laying on the fold but there’s nothing on the pattern piece that actually says ‘place on fold”. i’ll just cut two out and see if that works. thanks for your help. I love your videos!!! thanks for making them available to the public.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.