Book Promo Banner
large dramatic curly hem

large dramatic curly hem

Home Page Forums Ask A Question large dramatic curly hem

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 8 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

so i watched your youtube video “how to sew a curly hem with fishing line” and it was so helpful! my question is if i want to make a very large dramatic hem would i be using a heavier fishline than 60lb? does the weight make a difference? I’m assuming I’d warm up the fishline the same way except around a very large circular object – perhaps a big can of apple juice? or cola bottle?. Do you have any suggestions for making the large curly hem? I’ve attached a picture of an idea I’m trying to duplicate.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I don’t think getting a heavier weight is going to get the dramatic curls you see in these pics. You can wrap your fishing line around an item with a larger circumference but in my experience, while the waves of the curl are larger they are more subtle and less dramatic. You can try it though and see what happens on a scrap sheer. In these particular examples, it looks to me that they may be using a type of horsehair braid to get this affect. You may have to look online for it as stores like Joann are usually super limited. This vendor seems like they sell all kinds of colors: https://www.etsy.com/listing/123255686/jade-2-inch-wide-crin-crinoline?ref=shop_home_active_2

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Also, it probably makes a difference in the type of fabric you use. You’ll want to use a lightweight sheer that’s already on the stiffer side.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.