Book Promo Banner
Interfacing inside shirt pocket flap: which side?

Interfacing inside shirt pocket flap: which side?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Interfacing inside shirt pocket flap: which side?

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I’m making my first men’s shirt and I’m putting together the two chest pockets. The pattern calls for using Pellon SF101 iron-on interfacing on one of the two layers of fabric that together form the pocket flap, but I don’t know which piece of fabric to put the interfacing on, and I don’t even know if it makes any real difference if it’s on the front-facing piece or the back-facing piece. Anybody know? It’s a BurdaStyle pattern, BTW. Thanks.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

hmmm…typically with collars, the interfaced piece is on the back half, but even if it’s flipped I don’t think it’ll ruin your garment. 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thanks for taking some interest. I’ve spoken to my wife, who used to sew a lot, about this and we talked it over. Our sense was, finally, that if the interfacing were on the front-facing piece, the pocket flap would never wrinkle to match any wrinkly looking fabric adjacent to it. I often don’t iron my shirts, and we agreed that it’d look odd to have two nice flat pocket flaps there on a shirt front that was a little bit wrinkly. So, … I put them on the part of the flap that’s going to be on the back of the flap. Today I practiced button holes. We go slowly while we’re learning new stuff. Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.