Book Promo Banner
Interfacing for Stretch Silk Charmeuse

Interfacing for Stretch Silk Charmeuse

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Interfacing for Stretch Silk Charmeuse

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pc2080
    Participant

Any recommendations or things I should consider before purchasing interfacing to use with stretch silk charmeuse? I am using it in the band of a silk hat to add stability to the fabric? My options are:

Stretch interfacing (weight = 68 gsm);
    Plain Woven interfacing (weight = 68 gsm); or
    Twill Woven interfacing (weight = 68 gsm).

What is the benefit of using stretch interfacing with stretch silk charmeuse over plain woven when I will have elastic in casing at the nape? Also, the silk fabric weight is 68 gsm. I don’t want the band to be overly sturdy and lose the personality of the silk, but my understanding is I should match the weight of the silk. Is that correct? Please help. I’m not sure which option is best. Which one should I choose?

professorpincushion
    Participant

sorry, for the delay. I just got back from out of town and still playing catch up. The truth is, you don’t even have to use official interfacing. If you want the silk to have a little stability and but still have some flow, you can use a lighter weight fabric like an organza. (I probably wouldn’t use the stretch interfacing since you don’t really need it to stretch.) Out of your three options, I would choose the plain woven as I think maybe twill woven might be a little too stiff.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.