Book Promo Banner
Industrial or domestic sewing machine?

Industrial or domestic sewing machine?

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Industrial or domestic sewing machine?

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years, 2 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I had taken 3 years of high school fashion courses and was taught on a industrial and domestic sewing machine. I want to buy a sewing machine for me to teach her how to sew but I don’t know what machine to get her. I much prefer a industrial, but I wasn’t taught the differences between the two other than size and the inside of the machine so I was wondering if anybody can help me with pros and cons between the two so I can get her the best machine 🙂

She just wants a machine that will handle all types of fabric from simple knit to leather and one that will not break easily.

Thank you for your time, I hope you have a wonderful day! 🙂

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I meant to say for my mother*

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

I haven’t used an industrial machine but I imagine one of the cons is that they’re probably going to be more expensive than the lower end home sewing machine. Also, they might have specific feet and needle needs so it might be more expensive and a pain in the neck to obtain these. Your mom might not be able to just use the sewing needles found at your local fabric store. Industrial machines might be heavier than home machines so that’s something to consider if she doesn’t have a permanent place for it and might have to lug it around and some are stuck to the table base because the motor is housed below and not inside the machine. Yes, industrial machines are more heavy duty than consumer machines, will probably have a longer life, and able to handle heavier fabrics, like leather, better than home sewing machines, but they’re usually less versatile in their functions. They’re usually meant to do one or two things, like just straight stitches or a buttonhole. If that’s all your mom plans to do, then she’ll probably be ok with an industrial machine. If she wants to do other things, like use a blind hem stitch, do a stretch stitch, or do heirloom sewing, then you may want to look at consumer machines. Hope that helps! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.