Book Promo Banner
Increase pattern size from 14 to 18 Vogue 8997

Increase pattern size from 14 to 18 Vogue 8997

Home Page Forums Ask A Question Increase pattern size from 14 to 18 Vogue 8997

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hello Professor Pincushion! thank you so much for all your videos. I have been sewing for many years but never had to change the size of a pattern until now. I have watched your two videos on increasing bust size and waist size, but my question lies in the fact that my dress has four panels back and front. I have uploaded photos of the details. Size 14 has a 36 inch bust, 28 waist, 38 hip, I need a B40, W40, H42. Can you please advise how I should proceed. I am thinking along the lines for example – Bust 40 – 36 = 4 inches. 8 pieces of pattern divided by 4 = a quarter of an inch added to each piece, would this be correct? The waist 28 inches + 12 inches to make 40 inches, 12 divided by 8 = 1 and a half inches, therefore add this to the 8 pieces? and so on for the hips. To add to the complication I have never had a pattern with the opportunity to use different cup sizes. I do hope you can assist, I would very much like to make this dress. Thank you very much. Bunny

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Hi there! sorry for the delay in response. My computer died last week and I finally just got a new one. You could try what you’re suggesting but what you’re actually trying to do is called pattern grading. We don’t have a tutorial on this. Our alterations are more for tackling one aspect instead of trying to grade the pattern as a whole, so going from one size up to another size. There’s a pretty good article about the process on Threads and you might find it helpful: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4368/making-sense-of-pattern-grading/page/all

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.