Book Promo Banner
How to sew a collar to a 1 layer bodice with no raw edge shown in the inside

How to sew a collar to a 1 layer bodice with no raw edge shown in the inside

Home Page Forums Ask A Question How to sew a collar to a 1 layer bodice with no raw edge shown in the inside

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 years, 3 months ago by the_professors_assistant.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Could you kindly advise how to sew a collar to a dress that does not have the inside facing but still the seam allowance does not show in the inside? (Please have a look at the photo attached. It looks like they used bias).
    Normally the bodice have facing and the collar is sandwiched in between so the seam allowance does not show. But sometimes I just want to do a 1 layer bodice but still want to have clean finished look from the inside. Could you please advice?

Can I apply the same technique with the sleeves?

Thank you,
    Emily

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Yes, you can definitely use bias tape to get this look. I would use the single folded bias tape. First sew the collar on the neckline. Then sew one folded side of the bias tape to the seam allowance. Then I would press the seam allowance/bias tape back down and hand tack it into place at the bottom of the bias tape, making sure the bias tape completely covers the seam allowance when flat. (If the seam allowance still peeks out, then trim it beforehand.) When sewing the bottom of the bias tape in place, the stitches may show on the right side of the garment but, in your example, it’ll be covered by the collar. Just make sure the collar stays free and doesn’t get stitched when sewing the bottom of the bias tape.

the_professors_assistant
    Keymaster

Thank you. This is helpful

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Ask A Question’ is closed to new topics and replies.